Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Jill Scott Re-Connects With Hip Hop



Jill Scott Re-Connects With Hip Hop
Soul singer Jill Scott has gotten back in touch with her hip hop roots on her highly-anticipated upcoming album. The Light of the Sun features a bevy of hip hop collaborators. Scott, a native of Philadelphia, has never downplayed her connections to hip hop, with the Roots and DJ Jazzy Jeff playing prominent roles on her classic debut Who Is Jill Scott? Words and Sounds, Vol. 1. But she has never had this many rappers on a project before.
Fellow Philly native Eve, hip hop legend Doug E. Fresh and Texas rapper Paul Wall all are among the guests on the album.
"I grew up on Eric B. and Rakim; I grew up on storytelling, on Big Daddy Kane, on flows, on KRS-One," Jill Scott told AllHipHop. "Giving some education and something to think about. You know, I went to what I love most about Hip-Hop and I will stay in that particular genre. And I used some incredibly, incredibly amazing musicians and we freestyle a lot."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have been anticipating this album for 4 years! Jill Scott is a force to be reckoned with in the music industry. Elated that she is back,June 28th can't get here fast enough! Love u girl!

Quincy Harris Live Fox 29 7:00am - 10:am

Quincy Harris Live Fox 29 7:00am - 10:am