Friday, September 23, 2011

Amber Rose Visit Angers Ghanaians

Amber Rose's recent visit to Ghana sparked some controversy. The voluptuous model posted pictures of herself posing with children, but some took exception to the fact that she only posted pictures of herself with poorer citizens. Some felt that it promoted negative stereotypes about Africans, while Rose says she had no intention of doing anything other than trying to raise awareness.
"People have to understand that this is my first time in Africa. This is not my culture," she added. "I have never been here so if I said anything to hurt anyone’s feelings then I am really, really sorry. I saw that a lot of people on twitter said ‘don’t just show the poverty, show the rich people’. But for me, the rich people aren’t doing anything for the little kids and the people that are living in poverty so I don’t want to go hang out with the rich people."
"I wanted to see the kids in poverty. I grew up very poor," she added. "So I wanted to go see them, help them, talk to them and inspire them to let them know they could possibly be somebody great. They can be somebody great. So I want everyone in Ghana to know that I wasn’t just saying that ‘Ghana is a poor country and no one should ever come here.’ Anyone that I have spoken to about Ghana since I have been here, I have been saying that it’s such an amazing place. And I’m sorry for not posting pictures of rich people, but it just wasn’t for me to do."

No comments:

Quincy Harris Live Fox 29 7:00am - 10:am

Quincy Harris Live Fox 29 7:00am - 10:am