Thursday, February 23, 2012

Generation NEXT: Sean Falyon

"Sean Falyon Be Everywhere."
The Philadelphia rapper's mantra is more than just a clever motto--its a truism if ever there was one. He's seemingly at all places at all times, from swanky boutiques in SoHo to the smoke-filled corridors of hole-in-the-wall clubs of Atlanta's Eastside. But whereas several of today's hungriest emcees spend their time 'on the scene' pushing their latest mixtapes or elbowing for a chance to impress the newest local superstars, Falyon seems to understand the value of making real connections.
In other words, people really likethis guy.
"What sparked the [Sean Falyon Be Everywhere] idea was a producer named Cory Mo," Falyon explains with a laugh. " When he first got to Atlanta, I kept running into him and he was like 'Damn, Sean Falyon be everywhere.' And I was like, 'Imma use that!'"
Falyon's got that combination of everyman accessibility and an easygoing nature, coupled with a fierce determination to succeed and an impassioned approach to rhyming. Before heading south to Atlanta, Falyon was grinding in his native Philly, hustling with his own T-shirt company and only dabbling in music sporadically. "When I was in Philly, I didn't take [music] seriously," he says of that period. "I tried to take it serious when I hit college. You'd rap to be cool and get recognition. I actually recorded my first recording when I started going to Chicago. But then, I was like 'We ain't making no money, we ain't doing nothing.' So I went back to school. But in school I wasn't really focused on school, i was focused on throwing parties and doing T-shirts."
"But the best thing about school [was] it helped me network," Falyon explains. "I met a lot of artists, like DJ Unk and Bonecrusher and people like that. I was meeting folks through the clothing. Fashion and music go hand and hand, so it was like, 'You're down in Atlanta, you're around a bunch of rappers and you used to rap.' So [music] was bound to happen sooner or later."
Meeting with Bonecrusher, in particular, helped shift the rhymer back to his first love. The star asked Falyon to rhyme on a song, and it reignited Sean's love for rapping. "We actually had this song called 'Swerving,' with Bonecrusher and Cutty Cartel from Jim Crow and Dungeon Family. It was the first record that I mixed and mastered and sat through the whole process. People [heard] it and they were like 'Damn, I like it.' The response was crazy."
But even after hopping on a track with an established star, Falyon still held down a day job to help make ends meet. "I was still working," he shares. "I was at a customer service place doing accounts management, I worked at a hotel. I was leaving the house at six in the morning and not coming back till eleven. [But] I felt like if I worked as hard with [music] as I did with the t-shirts and the other jobs, this could be something. This could be my life."
Today, music is Sean Falyon's life. His "Sean Falyon Be Everywhere" mixtapes generated tremendous online buzz and garnered him an enviable following among fans of indie hip hop, as did his Playboy Tre and Tony Williams-assisted mixtape "1970 Charger." He was named one of the Top Artists of 2012 by Jenesis Mag, and the emcee has also been featured on ThisIs50, Arts Beats & Lyrics and MTVU. And there's more to come.
"I'm working on a remix project called 'Seven Degrees of Sean Falyon,'" he says. "Working with B.oB.'s lead guitarist and music director. And I'm working on the album, [and] I'm also looking to build my brand--even outside of music."
"For me to fulfill my dream, I gotta support it," Falyon says. "Being indie and self-managed, I still have to wear every cap in the world to make things happen. Bigger and better things."
As Falyon continues to climb, its certain that those that don't know now will eventually begin to see the light. At the very least, we know you'll see him.
'Cuz Sean Falyon be everywhere.
Follow Sean Falyon at Twitter.com/SeanFalyon
and Check Out Updates & More Music At SeanFalyon.com

No comments:

Quincy Harris Live Fox 29 7:00am - 10:am

Quincy Harris Live Fox 29 7:00am - 10:am