Thursday, April 5, 2012

Iggy Azalea didn't back down


Iggy Azalea didn't back down from the topic of race in hip hop during a recent interview with DAZED magazine. The Aussie femcee said that she knows the perceptions that men, hip hop fans and others have regarding her music.
"Being a teenage white girl didn't make me stand out as much as you'd imagine - Australia has a lot of white kids in it!" Iggy said. "There weren’t too many girls on the mic but there were definitely a lot of girls at the events because it was a cool place to hang out; and a place to meet boys and look cute. I always felt in my heart that I was a champion, so hearing boo's from a crowd just made me want to prove them all wrong and get better."
"Race, to me, is a low blow that people just use when they have nothing real to hate on," she says. "To me, being a woman is the biggest hindrance; a lot of people don't want to see a woman on the mic, just like they don't want to see a woman play an electric guitar. There are a million and one things that I go through as a woman and as a human being that we can all relate to, and color is just an extremely small thing to me. I have to view it that way if I want the rest of the world to take on that mind frame too."
"There are a million and one stereotypes people try to put on me every day," Iggy shared. "How a woman should act, how an Australian should act, how a white person should act, what ‘real rap’ is, what we consider to be beautiful. I’m blind to them all in my creative process. A stereotype should never hinder art if you’re brave about it, and I try to be."

No comments:

Quincy Harris Live Fox 29 7:00am - 10:am

Quincy Harris Live Fox 29 7:00am - 10:am