Monday, April 23, 2012

Iggy Azalea's 2Pac Connection

With 2Pac on the minds of seemingly everyone in hip hop right now due to his now-infamous 'appearance' at the 2012 Coachella Festival, Australian rapper Iggy Azalea discussed the fallen icon's influence on her music and career during an appearance on MTV2.
"I had two friends that lived down the road from me. They were older boys...and the older kids have the big music collection; they know what's cool," said Azalea. "They played a Tupac song, 'Baby Don't Cry,' with the Outlawz."
"I just loved that song. I don't know what it was. ...That's when I knew I liked rap. I knew that I loved rap music, I knew that I loved to sing along to the words," she says. "It takes a while before you have the guts to put yourself in their shoes and thing this is something I could actually do."
From there, Iggy joined a girl group. "I ended up being in this little...not really a group, but these other girls that lived down the street, they wanted to sing...and I could not sing," she shares. " I was like, I could be the rapper. This could be like TLC. I'll be Left Eye."
"They didn't take it serious; it was fun for them. I take everything I do serious," she added. "I'm too competitive."

No comments:

Quincy Harris Live Fox 29 7:00am - 10:am

Quincy Harris Live Fox 29 7:00am - 10:am