Thursday, December 1, 2011

Mary J. Blige On Her Younger Self

Mary J. Blige discussed her early years as a young star in a recent interview on CBS News. The singer's growth has been well-documented, and Mary says the younger her was almost a different person. She says she was naive about fame and her influence on a generation.
“I started speaking about what I was dealing with through my music, and 4 million women responded and said, ‘Us too, Mary. And I didn’t know that everyone was hurting like I was hurting. I had no idea. [...] I didn’t know who I was," Blige says. "So if ghetto fabulous and keeping it real and all of that was what I was, I was cool with that … until I learned that I can be more than that. The younger Mary J. Blige, I would call her, she was very unaware, ignorant.”She didn’t know how to sit down and give an interview and respect the interviewer. I’ve grown a lot in that area."
"I don’t know how I knew that whatever I am – which is broken and unarticulate – would help people," she added. "Because I didn’t know I would grow and evolve to this. But I just was completely like, ‘I don’t want to take no etiquette.’ I didn’t care about taking an etiquette class."

3 comments:

Shmappy Land Productions said...

I've always loved Mary and saw her "Behind the Music" documentary. She's always been the real her, even if that was ghetto. To the person she is today, she is a great influence of going above and beyond your own scope of your life and being more than you expected. You should watch that episode as well if you're interested. It's crazy to see someone become gold out of all the turd they have to get through to get there.

Ella said...

Oh...I sort of thought you were making fun of her. I would.

Anonymous said...

You would have tried Ella except you don't strike me as funny. Anyone who has done nothing stupid in the past is probably pretty boring or lying to themselves.

Quincy Harris Live Fox 29 7:00am - 10:am

Quincy Harris Live Fox 29 7:00am - 10:am