Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Jay-Z On Referencing Biggie's Rhymes

Jay-Z On Referencing Biggie's Rhymes:
Jay-Z detractors have long tried to use the fact that he uses famous lines from the late Notorious B.I.G. in several of his rhymes as reason to dismiss his abilities. But Jay says those critics miss the point--he's paying homage to a hip hop legend.[video here]
“There was a vow in that song about Big. So doing that was my way of always keeping him fresh and keeping his music fresh on everyone's mind,” he said. “So I'm inspired by music and I'm a fan and a historian. I study music and different emotions and things like that. So, if I'm inspired by it, I just use it. It's not a crutch for me. I can write a song without using anyone’s lyric at all.”
“That sums the whole thing up. Be comfortable with yourself and your ability. You don’t have that insecurity when people say, ‘Oh he stealing homeboy’s lyrics, he can’t write a rap.’ We can sit down next to anybody and write two verses. They could write and I could sit up there and come with a verse and we can see who comes up with a better verse any day.”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The whole argument is silly to me. Clearly Jay doesn't need to bite. A lot of artist pay homage to people they respect in their work. Movie directors, painters, etc. For you the consumer, the fact that you can relate to a verse they quoted is like bridging a connection between your experience and theirs.. I've heard many MC's quote another MC and all I've thought is "yeah, I felt that verse too.!". Drop it already!

KayOss(RREK City Prod) said...

I agree with Anonymous, a lot of cats do it out of respect. Snoop made a whole Slick Rick song over, Respect!

Quincy Harris Live Fox 29 7:00am - 10:am

Quincy Harris Live Fox 29 7:00am - 10:am